Decision making at a time of crisis near the end of life
The disease process of the patients who approach the end of life might create an immediate life-threatening emergency, yet invasive interventions might be less likely to provide benefit while carrying the same or greater risks. The key factors in decision process include prognosis, risk-benefit analysis of the proposed intervention, current symptom burden, and temporal pattern of the illness, patient's age and life stage, and the patient's goals of care.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
A hole in the argument
A case study of 80-year old man whose hiatal hernia was densely adherent in the mediastinum resulting in shortness of breath is presented. The patient underwent percutaneous closure of the patent foramen ovale in the cardiac catheterization laboratory with implantation of a septal defect occlusion device without complication.
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
High Concentrations of Heavy Metals in Neighborhoods Near Ore Smelters in Northern Mexico
The author examines the results of exposure to heavy metals pollution in Northern Mexico. Topics include metal smelting, arsenic and cadmium, and safety standards.
Publication Name: Environmental Health Perspectives
- Abstracts: Nutrition and diabetes. Global contender: The latest research into the impact of diabetes reveals were are verging on an epidemic
- Abstracts: Ascitic fluid analysis for the differentiation of malignancy-related and nonmalignant ascites: proposal of a diagnostic sequence
- Abstracts: US to make research marijuana more accessible. Pathologic Quiz Case: Fine-Needle Aspiration of Lytic Bone Lesions in a 63-Year-Old Woman
- Abstracts: How to make questionnaire work: looks may not be everything, but an attractive user-friendly design combined with clear targeted questions help a questionnaire do its job
- Abstracts: Provider attitudes regarding participation of women and persons of color in AIDS clinical trials. Clinical information system: a "gateway" to the 21st century