Provider attitudes regarding participation of women and persons of color in AIDS clinical trials
Underreprestation of women and people of color in AIDS clinical trials may be, at least in part, the result of the perceptions of providers. Despite the fact that AIDS is disproportionately present among women and blacks and Latinos, fewer people of these groups are involved in clinical trials. Providers, responding to questions, felt a lack of confidence explaining trials to non-English speaking people. They also believed the interest of African Americans and Latinos and Haitians to be lower than average, suggesting suspicion about trials was the reason. These attitudes were held despite the race or gender of the provider.
Publication Name: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology
Clinical information system: a "gateway" to the 21st century
Hospitals that implement a clinical information system (CIS) can benefit from a variety of improvements such as enhanced productivity, costs savings, and improved time management. The Gateway CIS at Saint Joseph's Hospital in Colorado required a well-organized development and implementation plan. Following evaluation and trouble-shooting, the system provided a marked improvement in record management and efficiency.
Publication Name: Nursing Administration Quarterly
- Abstracts: This day 50 years ago. Underrepresentation of patients 65 years of age or older in cancer-treatment trials. Redarkening of port-wine stains 10 years after pulsed-dye-laser treatment
- Abstracts: Computer instruction in learning concepts of streptococcal pharyngitis. Differential diagnosis of common causes of pediatric pharyngitis
- Abstracts: The prevention of the maternal manifestations of preeclampsia by intensive antihypertensive treatment. Altered skin integrity in children admitted to a pediatric intensive care unit
- Abstracts: Outpatient parotidectomy. Empiric outpatient management of HIV-related pneumonia: economical or unwise? Validation of cause-of-death certification for outpatient cancers: the contrasting cases of melanoma and mycosis fungoides
- Abstracts: Direct detection of HIV-1 RNA in epidermal Langerhans cells of HIV-infected patients. Spasmodic detection