Effectiveness, efficiency ... and subjective choice
Archie Cochrane's experience in caring for the sick and wounded during World War II led him to believe that there is a greater need for care than cure. In his monograph entitled 'Effectiveness and Efficiency,' Cochrane defined effectiveness as the ability of physicians to cure their patients through the power of the mind, also known as 'therapeutic behavior,' while efficiency is the way physicians sieve their observations to arrive at a decision. He says that physicians are not perfect and should not push themselves to do the impossible.
Publication Name: Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
The choice of antibacterial drugs
The drugs of choice for various bacterial infections are listed. The bacteria include gram-positive cocci, gram-negative cocci, gram-positive bacilli, enteric gram-negative bacilli, other gram-negative bacilli, acid fast bacilli, actinomycetes, chlamydiae, ehrlichia, mycoplasma, rickettsia, and spirochetes. Also included are a list of trade names and a table listing the cost of some antibiotics. The drugs of choice for pneumonia, meningitis, sepsis syndrome, and urinary tract infection are listed.
Publication Name: Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Developments in respite care for parents of children with learning disabilities include community units, sitting services and home based schemes. However some parents feel services could be improved in a number of ways, such as the availability of more resources, the provision of more individualised services and the consideration of age ranges at some units.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
- Abstracts: Effective blood volume: an effective concept or a modern myth. The concept of cellular tone: reflections on the endothelium, fibroblasts, and smooth muscle cells
- Abstracts: Diagnosis and treatment of amyloidosis. The basics of interpreting wrist X-rays
- Abstracts: Oncologic and functional considerations of total glossectomy. Sensitive care: choices and considerations
- Abstracts: Tax Havens and Their Uses, 1990. Tales of a Hobbesian Cynic. Expanded Uses for Aspirin Now on Professional Labeling
- Abstracts: Poverty and ill-health go hand-in-hand. Health and poverty in Bangladesh. The Worst of Both Worlds: Poverty and Politics in the Balkans