Poliovirus is spreading to states in Nigeria that was previously free of poliomyelitis and the global surveillance for acute flaccid paralysis has demonstrated that wild poliovirus genetically linked to parent virus in northern Nigeria has spread to other 12 countries in sub-Saharan continent. However, countries are increasingly equipped to decide on the most appropriate vaccination policies after eradication of polio.
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
In memoriam: David P. Rall, 1926-1999
The contributions of environmental health scientist David P. Rall are presented. These include his help in founding what became the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, which became a worldwide authority on the link between the environment and public health.
Publication Name: Environmental Health Perspectives
A case study of how a Nigerian women doctor suffered from post-partum anemia and nondiagnostic bone marrow is described. The treatment she received in the hospital and her last few hours is described.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
- Abstracts: Congenital syphilis: the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center experience, 1986-1988. A 25-year experience with 519 anterior colporrhaphy procedures
- Abstracts: A deadly combination. How I view the HIV epidemic as a Pentecostal. Into another hot zone
- Abstracts: Progress Toward Poliomyelitis Eradication--West Africa, 1997-September 1998. The lesson of a poliomyelitis outbreak in the Netherlands
- Abstracts: High costs forcing cutbacks in employer-based health coverage
- Abstracts: Egress for all. How to boldly go