Genetic Studies on Chromosome 12 in Late-Onset Alzheimer Disease
More research will be needed to determine whether a gene on chromosome 12 is linked to Alzheimer's disease. Although the apolipoprotein E (APOE) gene on chromosome 19 is a strong risk factor for AD, it does not explain all cases of late-onset disease. Researchers used genetic analysis to confirm a suggested link between AD and chromosome 12 in 497 people from 230 families with 2 or more family members with probable or definite AD that began at an age older than 60 years. A link was found to the APOE gene in these families but no such link was identified on chromosome 12.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
Disease experts say get ready for more superbugs
Several factors influence the increase of multiple drug resistant microorganisms. Irresponsible drug use and lack of hygienic methods are the most significant reasons for the large number of drugs capable of resisting even the most potent drugs. The occurrence of vancomycin-resistant staphylococcus in the US is one of the more pronounced examples of this epidemic. Aside from the need for discriminate drug use, clinicians should practice more stricter sanitation procedures in handling patients.
Publication Name: World Disease Weekly Plus
Is obesity a disease?
Some medical experts believe that obesity is a disease involving poor appetite regulation and poor metabolism. Obesity increases the risk of conditions such as cancer and high blood pressure. Genetic factors account for about one in three cases of obesity.
Publication Name: Weight Watchers Magazine
- Abstracts: Aetiology of malocclusion of the teeth. Whiter teeth. Landmines: dragon's teeth
- Abstracts: Lessons from a pilot study on prescribing exercise. The exercise bug. The buzz on exercise
- Abstracts: Watch out for those handy home appliances. New technological approaches. Technological solution for those who sit
- Abstracts: Evaluating transfusion triggers. Evaluating cord care. Evaluating pre-operative care
- Abstracts: Naltrexone for alcohol dependence. Management of alcohol withdrawal: two viewpoints. Alcohol and social change