Legistrothanatry: a new speciality for assisting in death
Legistrothanatry, a new legal speciality comprising lawyers certified in the effective use of lethal dugs and devices, aims at helping people in pain who prefer to die comfortably. It has evolved as an alternative to the much debated physician-assisted suicide. Physician-assisted death is objected to on several moral and ethical grounds. A major issue is that a physician who has to cure ailments goes against his fundamental duty if he puts a human being to rest. Another concern is related to general distrust in physicians who may assist in suicide.
Publication Name: Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
Can suicide be considered a work-related death?
Suicide is considered occupationally related if it originates from an on-the-job injury or from post-traumatic stress. Psychological instability or depression brought about by work problems that result to suicide can also be regarded as a work-related death. Secret suicide and unplanned suicide, meanwhile, are some of suicide cases that entitle dependents to receive compensation.
Publication Name: Safety & Health
Sudden infant death syndrome
Although the incidence of SIDS varies widely among various ethnic groups, universally its risk seems to be linked to the baby's sleeping position and whether or not the mother smokes. Increased risk of SIDS is linked to positioning babies to sleep face downwards and smoking among mothers.
Publication Name: World Health
- Abstracts: Tackling strokes: The government's green paper sets specific targets for a reduction in the incidence of stroke. part 2
- Abstracts: Microarray analysis and tumor classification. Tumor-induced osteomalacia. What is a tumor promoter?
- Abstracts: She won't look at me. Scientific finding may lead to mad cow breakthrough. Serendipity in scientific discovery: a closer look
- Abstracts: Student drop-outs cause university ranking fears. IGF-1: wonder drug or harmful agent? Warning: this drug may cause baldness
- Abstracts: Lessons from a pilot study on prescribing exercise. The exercise bug. The buzz on exercise