More research is needed to find ways to treat neural tube abnormalities and preferably, to prevent them. Neural tube abnormalities occur when the spinal column does not close properly around the spinal cord. Sometimes the spinal cord protrudes through an opening in the back. This condition is called spina bifida. Although the cause is not know, many cases can be prevented if a woman takes folic acid supplements up to and including her pregnancy. However, this does not prevent all cases, so it is clear that other factors may be involved.
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
Use of cimetidine, omeprazole, and ranitidine in pregnant women and pregnancy outcomes
The use of antacids by pregnant women and the risk of birth defects is explored. No major teratogenic risk was found in women using antacids in the first trimester of pregnancy.
Publication Name: American Journal of Epidemiology
- Abstracts: Liver disease in pregnancy. Autoantibodies and pregnancy loss
- Abstracts: Status of lipidsoluble antioxidants and TRAP in patients with Crohn's disease and healthy controls. Phosphate supplementation in young men: lack of effect on calcium homeostasis and bone turnover
- Abstracts: Adult screening for depression. The importance of screening for domestic violence in all women. Several tools are available to help diagnose depression
- Abstracts: Hospitalization of abused and neglected children. Children at risk: we shall overcome
- Abstracts: Determinants of dengue 2 infections among residents of charters towers, Queensland, Australia. part 2 Tuberculin skin testing among economically disadvantaged youth in a federally funded job training program