Renewing board certification
Certification by a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties is among the most vital professional qualifications for generations of physicians. Board certification is a kind of self-regulation, which is funded by physicians through application fees and that remains under the control of the profession and the changes in board certification have implications for the licensure of physicians.
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
Legislators focus on patient record confidentiality: proposal would require written approval to release information
Senate legislators are drafting a bill aimed at increasing privacy protections for medical records. The bill would require hospitals, health plans and physicians to obtain written and signed patient authorization before disclosing information. Law enforcement officials would be required to obtain records via legal channels such as subpoenas or warrants.
Publication Name: American Medical News
- Abstracts: Ensuring safe and effective medications for children. Alarm sounded on fake, tainted drugs: some wholesalers are a weak link in a dangerous chain
- Abstracts: Medical education as a science: the quality of evidence for computer-assisted instruction. Occurrence and clinical predictors of operative delivery for the vertex second twin after normal vaginal delivery of the first twin
- Abstracts: Intrauterine growth restriction is accompanied by decreased renal volume in the human fetus. Expectant management of severe preterm preeclampsia: is intrauterine growth restriction an indication for immediate delivery?
- Abstracts: New technologies deliver in treating neurological diseases. Research on infectious diseases requires better coordination
- Abstracts: Changing the perceptions of palliative care. 'We can employ our nursing skills to the fullE: clinical nurse specialists Mick Burrows and Mark Holmes work at one of the few nurse-led alcohol liaison services in the country and offer a lifeline to people who misuse alcohol