High street - high prices?
Many recent surveys have indicated that retailers in the UK are charging higher prices for certain goods than their counterparts in other countries. However, it is important to realize that there are many reasons, some of them fair, why prices can vary between countries. These include overheads, exchange rates and sales tax. Research covering major cities in nine European Union countries, along with New York, NY, indicates that prices in London, England, are substantially above average.
Publication Name: Which?
Subject: Consumer news and advice
Winds of (democratic?) change
Political reforms have traditionally been explained through structural, modernization, national and international paradigms. However, developments in different African nations lend credence to an alternative political theory. This theory traces the roots of political reform to the breakdown of authority of a state's leader. Furthermore, developments within a country have greater influence on reforms as compared to external factors.
Publication Name: International Affairs
Subject: International relations
A shining example
The British city of Sunderland is one of four local authorities in its area to become a beacon council, and its was chosen because of its clear vision, its communication with the local people, and its innovative projects. The city gained its beacon council status by attaining regeneration through tourism, sport and culture.
Publication Name: Leisure Management
Subject: Travel industry
- Abstracts: Rivalries and the democratic peace in the major power system. World economic growth systemic leadership, and Southern debt crises
- Abstracts: Oil and democracy: the American dilemma in the Persian Gulf region. Regional perspectives on the causes of proliferation of weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East
- Abstracts: Chile 1997-1998: the revenge of incomplete democratization. Pinochet: the politics. Democratization, legitimacy and political change in Central Asia
- Abstracts: Bingo or fiasco? The global financial situation is not guaranteed. The South Korean financial crisis: competing explanations and policy lessons for financial liberalization
- Abstracts: The growing authoritarianism of the Arafat regime. Of loans and results: elements for a chronicle of evaluation at the World Bank