CDC expands definition of AIDS; more new cases expected
A broader definition of the disease AIDS was adopted by the federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC) effective Jan 1, 1993. Tuberculosis, cervical cancer and recurrent pneumonia were added to the list of diseases which indicate that an HIV-infected patient has AIDS. An HIV-infected patient with a level of CD4 cells in the blood below 200 per cubic millimeter will also be considered to have AIDS. The CDC anticipates the change will result in an increase in AIDS diagnosis of 36-135% and this will affect the distribution of federal funds.
Publication Name: Law, Medicine & Health Care
The right of access to child custody and dependency cases
A qualified right of press access to child custody and dependency proceedings should be recognized. Restrictions of the right should be narrowly designed to protect the privacy interests of the child. Press access is desirable as a way to promote informed public discussion that helps to ensure that the system operates fairly. The Supreme Court has recognized a right of access in criminal cases on First Amendment grounds, and similar arguments also apply to child custody and dependency cases.
Publication Name: University of Chicago Law Review
There are four areas of case discussion in this article. The validity of service of process is the first discussion area. Corporate liability for fraud is highlighted. Next cash-out mergers are studied. Finally, an officer's authority to bind a corporation is reviewed.
Publication Name: Corporation Law Review
- Abstracts: The acquisition of reconstructed tax loss companies and trusts. The loss of another tax loophole
- Abstracts: The corporate responsibility for basic research. The Case of the Old Colony Shipbuilding Company. The four faces of corporate citizenship
- Abstracts: In defense of the sales statute of frauds and parole evidence rule: a fair price of admission to the courts. Courts and free markets: perspectives from the United States and Europe
- Abstracts: Wraps - The 'Hunt' for an Escape of Mortgage over Basis. Recent cases and rulings clarify activity determinations and other issues
- Abstracts: New reserve forces legislation. The constitutionality of punitive damage awards and recent proposed legislation