Getting a head start on health care reform
The Clinton Administration's health care reform plan will not directly effect company-sponsored plans in the short term. However, it is likely that changes in the health care system will eventually be implemented and will follow some form of managed competition. This prospect should induce companies to alter their health care plans accordingly in the interim. Those companies who take interim steps toward managed care will enjoy a smoother transition in the long run. Those who resist will face a costly and disruptive conversion when the national plan is implemented.
Publication Name: Tax Management Compensation Planning Journal
No: witch-hunts for leakers hamper the press
The media have a First Amendment right to information about criminal trials and there are ways of preserving the defendant's right to a fair trial other than overreactions to prosecutorial leaks. These might include a change of venue, voir dire and dismissing the indictment. Interviews of law enforcement officials to identify the leakers are rarely successful. Subpoenaing the press becomes the alternative and such compelled disclosure limits media ability to cover and report on government abuse. First Amendment rights are in question even if the press if protected.
Publication Name: ABA Journal
To start, press the flashing button: the legalization of video gambling devices
The popularity of video gambling machines has led many states to explore legalization, enabling them to tax the earnings and lessen state deficits. However, concerns about the machines' fairness and lack of cheating modifications have made many states cautious. Successful management of these issues has been accomplished by strict testing of the machines before distribution, limiting access to the machines after distribution and making sure they are distributed to the legal participants.
Publication Name: Software Law Journal
- Abstracts: Court declares no trespass; the three branches and the states should go to respective corners. Safe harbor provision should be preserved
- Abstracts: Drive-time stories for stressed-out lawyers; the growing availability of books on tape provides great choices for journeys
- Abstracts: An argument for the implementation of a biometric authentication system ("BAS"). The Financial Modernization Act: the dawn of a new era
- Abstracts: Gain based on what was distributed, not received. Give 'em a break: reassessing the use tax on interstate carrier property
- Abstracts: Corporate crisis management. The crisis of poverty law and the demands of benevolence. Crisis management from a public relations point of view