The idea of public reason revisited
A plurality of irreconcilable comprehensive doctrines, both religious and non-religious, inevitably develops as a result of the freedoms enjoyed in a democracy. Reasonable comprehensive doctrines are those that accept the principles and institutions of constitutional democracy and legitimate law. The citizens need a conception of public reason as a way to deliberate over political issues as free and equal citizens while respecting the irreconcilability of their comprehensive doctrines. Politically reasonable public justifications must be given to resolve basic political questions.
Publication Name: University of Chicago Law Review
Yes: there is a duty to air a variety of viewpoints
National Public Radio (NPR) violated Mumia Abu-Jamal's constitutional rights by deciding based on purely political grounds not to broadcast the former radio journalist's commentaries. For months NPR had pursued its plan to use them, and they had already satisfied every relevant standard, but NPR caved in within two days when an onslaught of criticism greeted its promotion of the Anu-Jamal pieces. Internationally recognized as a journalist and advocate for prisoners, he is on death row for the murder of a Philadelphia policeman.
Publication Name: ABA Journal
The so-called Contract With the American Family issued by Christian Coalition executive director Ralph Reed overreaches its appropriate bounds and may play on observers' credulity. Most people give religious groups and figures the benefit of the doubt, a fact of which many take advantage. This contract sets forth positions on many issues related to public morality but not religion, and may unduly influence both the public and legislators through its religious imprimatur.
Publication Name: The National Law Journal
- Abstracts: Kirkholt revisited: some reflections on the transferability of crime prevention initiatives. Less crime in the cities through heroin prescription? Preliminary results from the evaluation of the Swiss heroin prescription projects
- Abstracts: Truth is the daughter of time: the real story of the Nestle case. Baby for sale; Mich. man tried to sell his daughter,
- Abstracts: The impact of Medicaid managed care on the uninsured. The Retirement CD and the fight for control of the annuities market
- Abstracts: The debacle of corporate bankruptcy. On the controversial role of the European court in corporate tax cases. Corporate (mis)governance?
- Abstracts: The response of copyright to the enforcement strain of inexpensive copying technology. Journalists' copyright