Yes: a denial of human rights
HR 51 would preserve a federal district of about 10 square miles while permitting the rest of Washington, DC to become New Columbia, the 51st state. Washington, DC residents without statehood are the victims of a serious human rights violation. They live in the only American jurisdiction forced to pay taxes without representation. They do not govern themselves nor are they represented equally in Congress, having no senators and only one representative without full rights. They contribute more than their share, numbering fifth per capita in troops dispatched to the Persian Gulf War.
Publication Name: ABA Journal
Grazing rights: time for a new outlook
Land use rights to federal lands in the Western states have historically been scattered, and a debate is ongoing about the proper direction for these rights in the future. The government must balance the demands of livestock producers and of environmental groups, who have been lobbying for more wilderness and wildlife preservation. A recognition of private grazing rights on federal lands would be the best solution. This situation already exists de facto and formalizing matters would free livestock producers from overregulation and allow them to concentrate on improving rangelands.
Publication Name: Natural Resources Journal
Economic outlook for 1998
Tony Blair's British government has watched carefully that inflation will not result from the fast economic growth, while also asking the Bank of England to exert anti-inflationary pressures. These measures have still not convinced City analysts that this tightening of fiscal policy will suffice. Continued above-trend growth since summ 1997 has therefore led some observers to forecast further interest rate increases, as the Bank of England's monetary policy committee tries to deliver on the Government's 21/2% target for underlying inflation.
Publication Name: Pay and Benefits Bulletin
- Abstracts: The arbitration of human rights complaints: the New York experience
- Abstracts: Yes: a threat to property rights. No: a competitive disadvantage
- Abstracts: Race, class, and drugs. Working rules for Lawyerland
- Abstracts: The Corporation's Vade Mecum of Constitutional Rights. The Northwest Ordinance as a constitutional document. Development agreements: contracting for vested rights
- Abstracts: A positive psychological theory of judging in hindsight. Judging the Security Council