Yes: each chamber can adopt its own procedures
Requiring a supermajority vote for tax hikes is constitutional and consistent with majority control and with the separation of powers. A legislative rule not subject to repeal by a majority would be unconstitutional because it would act as a constitutional amendment. Along with being constitutional, the supermajority rule is also good policy. For the last 50 years, the US has faced the situation of interest groups being able to obtain benefits which a diffuse majority paid for. The super-majority rule is an attempt to restore majority power without the radical step of a constitutional amendment.
Publication Name: ABA Journal
Vocabulary of ADR procedures
Terms used in describing ADR techniques must be similarly understood by all who use them. Terms include non-binding arbitration, binding arbitration, court-annexed arbitration, caucus arbitration, "baseball" or "final-offer" arbitration and Mediation and Last Offer Arbitration (MEDALOA). Non-binding arbitration, for example, is moderately formal and rarely includes live witnesses. Binding arbitration is a formal presentation where the binding award is enforceable in court.
Publication Name: Dispute Resolution Journal
Examining senate procedures through narrative
Many legal scholars advocate for reforms to Congress's lawmaking power because they believe it no longer responds to the popular majority. However, this is a mistaken belief that could be corrected by a study of Congress using narrative. A study of procedure in the US Senate is presented as an example.
Publication Name: Harvard Law Review
- Abstracts: HSC "cannot cope" with new pressures caused by government spending cuts. Council pays social worker 66,000 pounds sterling for work stress caused by "bullying" boss
- Abstracts: Organizing worth its salt: the protected status of paid union organizers. Milking capitalism for all it's worth
- Abstracts: A "shell" corp. may be a good devisee of contaminated realty. Good prospects for growth in 1995
- Abstracts: Some unhealthy aspects of managed health care. Big picture; dealing with the business side of art. Dealing with the AMT aspects of the kiddie tax rules
- Abstracts: Adam Smith on monopoly: the 'mean rapacity, the monopolizing spirit.' (excerpts from 'The Wealth of Nations') Critical praxis, spirit healing, and community activism: preserving a subersive dialogue on reparations