Cichlids of the rift lakes
The unusually high diversity of cichlid fishes in Lake Tanganyika is a puzzle to scientists. Factors which cause such a diversity include the extremely adaptable double jaws which allow them to feed on various foods and not compete with each other, and their habit of caring for their young in their mouth.
Publication Name: Scientific American
Subject: Science and technology
That cold mountain air is hard on the lungs
Skiers may experience difficulties with respiratory ailments due to lack of moisture in the air, and should carry small vaporizers when travelling. Asthmatic patients who suffer spasms when cold air becomes trapped in the lungs may be relieved by using bronchospasm inhalers.
Publication Name: Conde Nast Traveler
Subject: Travel, recreation and leisure
Foreign entanglements, far eastern division
Publication Name: Life
Subject: General interest
- Abstracts: The way of the elders. Face time
- Abstracts: The berry and the parasite. Shape-changing crystals get shiftier
- Abstracts: The case of the vanishing frogs. Hydra-Sports 2796 Vectra
- Abstracts: Engaging the private sector. High flyer
- Abstracts: The ethics of remediation. "I survived the flesh-eating bacteria." (includes related article)