Weight changes in caregivers of Alzheimer's care recipients: psychobehavioral predictors
Male spouse caregivers of Alzheimer's disease patients have higher body mass index and obesity than control spouses, while women caregivers gain weight with time. Men with low perceived control and women with high anger control are more prone to obesity. The caregiving spouses are more prone to cardiovascular problems than the controls. Obesity in controls is independent of psychobehavioral variables.
Publication Name: Psychology and Aging
Does expressed emotion in spouses predict subsequent problems among care recipients with Alzheimer's disease?
When spouses take care of Alzheimer's disease patients, their negative expressed emotions (EE) affect the amount of negative behavior exhibited by the patient. Caregiver EE predicted increased negative behaviors over time, but not decline in cognitive function or activities of daily living. Negative behaviors have, in turn, been shown to bring more stress to caregivers than cognitive or ADL declines.
Publication Name: Journals of Gerontology
Plasma lipids and their relationships with psychosocial factors in older adults
Regression analyses of several men aged below 60 years helps understand the correlation between psychosocial variables such as anger and Type A behavior, and plasma lipids. The variations in the values of glycerides and high- and low-density lipoproteins are explained by anger-out, controlled anger, anger held-in and Type A behavior.
Publication Name: The Journals of Gerontology, Series B
- Abstracts: Cognitive deterioration in Alzheimer's disease: behavioral and health factors. Effect of vascular lesions on cognition in AlzheimerEs diseases: a community-based study
- Abstracts: How much does it really cost to care for persons with Alzheimer's disease? Use of physician orders for life-sustaining treatment program in Oregon nursing facilities: beyond resuscitation status
- Abstracts: Aging, inhibitory processes, and negative priming. Item and relational processing in young and older adults. Age and incidental recall for simulated everyday memory task
- Abstracts: The 20 best retirement communities in America. The 20 top retirement communities in the U.S.A. The USA's 15 best continuing care retirement communities
- Abstracts: Diet and the suitability of the male fischer 344 rat as a model for aging research. Dietary restriction alters characteristics of glucose fuel use