University Cuts and Statistical Information
Reductions in British government spending led to a reduction of funding for the University of Southhampton. Decision making on how to adapt did not use operational research methods. False assumptions were made about the falling birth rate market share and market potential, and the quality of student intake. Student decision making is modeled. Operational research methods would have produced better decisions. Tables are included.
Publication Name: Journal of the Operational Research Society
Subject: Computers and office automation industries
Problems with residual analysis
There are some serious difficulties connected with residual analysis that are not found in the one-step techniques of analysis of covariance, multiple regression and the general linear model. Residual analysis could be either too liberal or too conservative, according to the circumstances.
Publication Name: Animal Behaviour
Subject: Zoology and wildlife conservation
The Market Mechanism as an Incentive Scheme
A model is developed to show the relationship between competition and management efficience. Consideration is given to inefficiency caused by manager owner conflict, and by owner failure in monitoring management. Competition is found to reduce management slack.
Publication Name: Bell Journal of Economics
Subject: Business, general
- Abstracts: ASPCA allies with dog racers. Whoops, apocalypse
- Abstracts: Bless the beasts. Let the games begin
- Abstracts: Y chromosomes of Jewish priests. "Vindicating the equality of female intellect": women and authority in the Early Republic
- Abstracts: Messing with mangroves. Lemon laws
- Abstracts: Cat scats and other telltale signs. All it's cracked up to be: after 50 years of too much salt, America is in love with pepper