A South American hotspot
An increasing number of foreigners are investing in Chile. In 1996, it enticed a total of $6.174 billion in foreign investment, increasing by 42% over the previous year's figure. A reliable and industrious workforce, a stable political system, a strong currency and low inflation are just some of the attractants of this Latin American economy. Further enticing foreign investors are its lax foreign investment laws, such as Law 600, which requires that foreign and domestic investors be treated equally. Strong trade relations and strategic partnerships also contributed to the robust foreign activity in Chile. The greatest investments are in the sectors of mining, banking, agribusiness and telecommunications, with majority of investors coming from Canada, Spain and the US, although South Africa and the UK are not far behind.
Publication Name: Accountancy
Henry Dreyfuss: designing the American dream
Henry Dreyfuss has left a lasting imprint on the nation of 50 years of industrial designs ranging from telephones, tractors, trains and cameras to vacuum cleaners and thermostats. Little remains of his vision that can be considered a collector's item, but it lives on generation after generation in the subsequent improvements of his designs. As an example, his Bell Telephones' 500 model in 1946 was to provide a starting point for other designs to bring new services and convenience to users, such as multiline, automatic card dialing, wall-telephone and mobile-telephone sets.
Publication Name: I.D.
Henry Kissinger on the East-West dialogue
Excerpts are extracted from Henry Kissinger's speech delivered to the 1985 International Conference of FEI. Kissinger gives his view on the new leader of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev. The nuclear weapons policies of both the Soviet Union and the United States are examined.
Publication Name: FE: the Magazine for Financial Executives
- Abstracts: Irish highs. Rising from the ashes. Rising spirits: Irish Distillers has been capitalising on its French connection
- Abstracts: Earth, receive an honored past. Ireland: the selling of the green. Twin Cities retailers prevented from selling microwave antennas that can receive HBO
- Abstracts: European monetary union: the real debate. Dutch get tough. Why union became tough advertiser
- Abstracts: AGM Report. Report of the Constitutional Review Working Party. Annual report readability variability: Tests of the obfuscation hypothesis
- Abstracts: Computer use and abuse. Controlling substance abuse in the workplace. A real-time computer for active control