Here's to success - with a struggle
Frank Walker has been in the business of advising ambitious young professionals since 1964. According to the practice management consultant, young professionals should develop their self-confidence and their skill in selling their professional services, in much the same way as salespersons market their wares. Walker also advocates specialization in areas of expertise and emboldens inexperienced practitioners to take risks. When conducting consultancy sessions, he motivateshis clients to talk about themselves and, thus, accept their strengths and weaknesses. He also encourages sole practitioners to set time limits to find a partner. He cautions them to choose partners who have a different field of expertise. Walker is now a senior partner of CA firm Walkers.
Publication Name: The Accountant's Magazine
Pests: a profitable quarry
Rentokil Group PLC has propelled itself into the front rank of Britain's major corporations. In mid-1991, the pest control combine received the elite distinction of being listed in the Financial Times Stock Exchange 100 Index. Rentokil's rapid growth since 1986 has enabled it to maintain an impressive average 20% annual increase in profits. In 1990, Rentokil registered profits of 74.7 mn pounds sterling pretax on a turnover of 309.1 mn pounds sterling. The company employs 15,000 people and operates in all major OECD countries. Its core business remains pest control, but it also has a significant presence in the property-services sector where it provides such services as office machinery maintenance.
Publication Name: Accountancy
RPS advises businesses on environmental clean-up issues, involving land contamination and environmental management systems. The group is gaining other strands of the environmental consultancy business by making bolt-on acquisitions, such as the recent purchase of Utility Technical Services (UTS). It stayed profitable during the last recession but its landscaping activities were badly affected.
Publication Name: Investors Chronicle
- Abstracts: Defense is big business. Weekends with a difference. Preserving the future
- Abstracts: The secrets of successful empowerment. Soft steps, hard steps. Golden handshakes: separation pay for retired and dismissed CEOs
- Abstracts: Betting on success. Cleanworks Dispensing System. Tide's quest for a liquid success
- Abstracts: All-programmers: Who are the nation's hottest TV stations' execs - and how did they get there? Overheads: why they're still no. 1
- Abstracts: Revitalized junk bond market open to small issuers. Global junk bond trailblazer. The cost of bond covenant restrictions on the disposition of assets