The 'Hong Kong' solution to the overfishing problem: a study of the cultured fish industry in Hong Kong
Hong Kong's cultured fish industry has thrived since 1982, when the government set aside designated coastal water areas for the private raising of fish. Among the factors that have contributed to the industry's success are high local demand for live seafood, the use of floating cages, good input markets, population density and close proximity to fish culture zones. However, the industry is being threatened by rapid urban development and worsening water pollution.
Publication Name: Managerial & Decision Economics
First You Drink Your Puffer Fish
The Haitian election for a national assembly held February 12, 1984 was a sham. Opposition candidates were not allowed on ballots. Few Haitians voted. The health of President Duralier is rumored to be deteriorating. The Reagan Administration would like to increase American aid to Haiti. Tourism has plunged since Haitians are reported carriers of the disease AIDS.
Publication Name: Economist
The common unresolved problem with the EMS and EMU
The European Monetary Union will encounter the same problems as the European Monetary System (EMS). The crises faced by EMS in September 1992 and in August 1993 proved that a country cannot have unlimited international capital movements, a partially independent monetary policy and fixed exchange rates, all at the same time.
Publication Name: American Economic Review
- Abstracts: Role of technology in the emergence of newly industrializing countries. Does entry size matter? The impact of the life cycle and technology on firm survival
- Abstracts: Forging ahead and falling behind: the rise and relative decline of the first industrial nation. Organizational capabilities and the economic history of the industrial enterprise
- Abstracts: The theory of evolution and the evolution of theory: Veblen's methodology in contemporary perspective. Taxation and Kalecki's theory of the business cycle
- Abstracts: The resolution of uncertainty: an experimental study. Post-cartel pricing during litigation. The role of nonbinding alternative dispute resolution in litigation
- Abstracts: A fine choice. Modeling voter choice to predict the final outcome of two-stage elections. Vote for the Mullah of Your Choice