Determining the effectiveness of critical pathways for coronary artery bypass graft patients: retrospective comparison of readmission rates
Hospital readmission rates for 780 patients who had experienced coronary artery bypass graft surgery were compared by whether or not care given during their surgical stay was based on the critical path tool. This tool employs a multidisciplinary approach to patient care that maximizes efficient medical resource utilization and fosters cost-effectiveness. Utilization of the critical path tool in providing care did not significantly affect the readmission rate of patients in the sample, although it did decrease their average length of hospital stay by 1.12 days.
Publication Name: Journal of Nursing Care Quality
Patenting and human genes
The debate about patenting human genes is complex and will continue. It includes moral and legal issues that must be carefully analyzed. The debate must weigh the rights of corporations to earn money from their research against the feeling that knowledge and use of genetic sequences should belong to all humankind. Current patent laws are insufficient to deal with the scientific, economic and moral ramifications of genetic research. Genetic sequences will continue to be mapped and a resolution is needed.
Publication Name: Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
- Abstracts: Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of pharmacologic therapy: where we've been and where we're going. Conflict of Interest and Cost-effectiveness Analysis
- Abstracts: Implications of prosthetic valve implantation: an 8-year follow-up of patients with porcine bioprostheses. Pituitary stalk and ectopic hyperintense T(sub 1) signal on magnetic resonance imaging: implications for anterior pituitary dysfunction
- Abstracts: Effectiveness, efficiency ... and subjective choice. The choice of antibacterial drugs. Respite choice
- Abstracts: Corneal surgery for myopia. Corneal surgery for correction of refractive errors. A far-sighted view of myopia
- Abstracts: Postural hypotension: faintness upon standing. Enrich your relationship with your mate. Fried and true