Tooth loss, dementia and neuropathology in the Nun Study
A study was performed to investigate a possible link between a history of oral disease and the development of dementia. Supplemented by 40 years of longitudinal dental records data from 10 annual cognitive assessments of 144 Milwaukee participants of the Nun Study were reviewed. The highest risk of prevalence and incidence of dementia were found in those who had the fewest teeth.
Publication Name: Journal of the American Dental Association
Racial Variations in Causes of Vision Loss in Nursing Homes
A clinical trial evalauates patients in nursing homes in Maryland and Delaware to assess the impact of vision restoration/rehabilitation. Differences were noted between African Americans and whites. Cataracts were more prevalent among African Americans. This is a treatable condition.
Publication Name: Archives of Ophthalmology
Evaluation of an Association Between Loratadine and Hypospadias--United States, 1997-2001
The National Birth Defects Prevention Study looks for a correlation between hypospadias in infants (urethral opening located along the underside of the penis or in the scrotum) and use use of loratadine, an antihistamine, by the pregant mother. They did not find an association.
Publication Name: Archives of Dermatology
- Abstracts: Nicotine replacement therapy during pregnancy. Indicators of nicotine addiction among women - United States, 1991-1992
- Abstracts: Air pollution information activities at state and local agencies - United States, 1992. Stab wounds associated with terrorist activities in Israel
- Abstracts: Glucose transporters and insulin action: implications for insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus. Nerves, fat, and insulin resistance
- Abstracts: The antimicrobial and antifungal activity of a root canal core material. Endometrial adenocarcinoma: beliefs and scepticism
- Abstracts: Postherpetic neuralgia: A care study. New Directions for Care. Gabapentin (Neurontin) for chronic pain