Criminals aren't to blame for all insurance crime
Average policyholders commit more than a third of insurance fraud by inflating the value of a claim to offset past premium payments. This was gleaned from a recent study of fraud in auto injury claims conducted by the Insurance Research Council. These otherwise law-abiding citizens take advantage of claims settlement to get their money back, believing that the insurance firm owes them something after years of paying premium. Insurance fraud by ordinary people can be curbed by limiting opportunities to inflate claims, implementing anti-fraud measures and intensifying consumer education.
Publication Name: Best's Review Property-Casualty Insurance Edition
China's Insurance Pioneers
The first two Chinese students to study insurance in the United States will return to China to pioneer the insurance industry. At the present time, insurance is a very small industry. However, as the economy expands, so will the demand for insurance. The two students participated in an insurance company training program as well as engaging in university academic studies. They were sponsored by a major insurer. China is beginning to offer a variety of new coverages.
Publication Name: Journal of Insurance
The risk/insurance consultant: how to become one
The need for insurance consultants has grown as a result of the ongoing industry trend towards downsizing, re-engineering, early retirement, reductions in workforce, layoffs and liquidation. The job of insurance consultants cover a wide range of activities. These activities include providing binding arbitration and nonbinding mediation for dispute resolution and serving as expert witnesses for insurance legalities.
Publication Name: CPCU Journal
- Abstracts: The time is right for mutual insurance holding companies. Banks and the insurance industry. The continuing education paperwork jungle
- Abstracts: Reform for the small-group health insurance market. Self-funded health insurance for small employers. Point-of-service plans: the standard health coverage of the future?
- Abstracts: Self-funded health insurance for small employers. Insurance fraud in America: a growing problem for everyone. Managed prescription programs: integrating retail and mail order services
- Abstracts: Executive long term disability insurance update. Disease management: a buyer's guide for employers. Financial education in the workplace: results of a research study
- Abstracts: How to get published and increase your sales. The Software Consumers Bill of Rights. Employers and consumers: increase your health e-wareness