The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) are expected to fight over stock subindex futures. The SEC has asked that four pending Chicago Mercantile Exchange subcontracts, dealing with energy, finance, utility and high tech stocks, be disapproved because of its belief that they might be too easy to manipulate or based too narrowly. The SEC sees this as an especially serious problem where the high-tech index is involved. The ideological orientation of the two industries probably accounts for the conflict. While the CFTC views a new product in economic terms, the SEC focuses on the need for customer protection. The conflict may also be a resurrection of a battle prior to the Johnson-Shad Agreement during 1982.
Publication Name: Futures: Magazine of Commodities & Options
Subject: Business, general
Resources and the productive activity of elders: race and gender as contexts
Resources such as health, socioeconomic status (SES) and interpersonal relationships affect the productive activity of elders which varies with race and gender, and also type of productive activity. A sample of White and Black men and women was taken from the 1986 Americans' Changing Lives Survey and data were subjected to multivariate analyses. In terms of resources, White men have the most, followed by White women, Black men then Black women. The greatest differences in productivity followed gender rather than racial lines. Elderly women are more productive than men despite lower resources.
Publication Name: Journals of Gerontology
Do we consume too much?
It is not true that raw materials, food supplies and energy resources are being dangerously depleted as the world's economy expands. The most valid reasons for curbing consumption and protecting the natural world are moral and spiritual rather than economic.
Publication Name: The Atlantic Monthly
Subject: News, opinion and commentary
- Abstracts: Stressful events and life satisfaction among elderly men and women. Perceived health problems, formal/informal support, and life satisfaction among older adults
- Abstracts: Stressful events and life satisfaction among elderly men and women. part 2 Acculturation and psychological distress in three groups of Hispanics
- Abstracts: Aging and the detection of observer and moving object collisions
- Abstracts: Identifying and addressing the issues of elder abuse: a rural perspective. Investigating suspected elder maltreatment
- Abstracts: Make the most of volunteering. Remarriage and your money