Publish or perish: what the competition is really doing
This study provides comprehensive publications performance data over a 25-year period for finance doctorates. These data indicate that publishing one article per year in any finance journal (or finance, accounting, economics, or business journal) over any prolonged period of time is a truly remarkable feat, met by only 5% of the graduates. Tenure screens combining various quantity and quality requirements are examined to assess their ability to predict future publication productivity. Faculty and administrators seeking defensible benchmarks for evaluating faculty research productivity in finance will find that these data and results are particularly useful. (Reprinted by permission of the publisher.)
Publication Name: Journal of Finance
Doing business in the park
Business parks are becoming more popular in Scotland. Business parks provide several advantages, including increased room for parking, a less congested environment, and lower property out-goings. There is a demand for business parks in Scotland, but their construction has been delayed by such factors as a lack of back-up services and a slump in the real estate market. Business parks can be customized to suit specific occupants, and rents are related more closely to building costs. The advantages that Scotland offers in terms of building business parks include its natural resources and low commuting times.
Publication Name: The Accountant's Magazine
Doing business after TRA 1986
The Tax Reform Act of 1986 significantly changed taxation for four primary business entities: sole proprietorships, partnerships, 'C' corporations, and 'subchapter S' corporations. Economic considerations of tax reform include limited liability, ease of raising capital, ability to separate business interests from personal ones, and the level of business involvement. Tax considerations include the marginal rate of taxation, the pass-through of tax attributes, the tax profile of investors, the profitability of the enterprise, and the taxable nature of income and deductions.
Publication Name: Business
- Abstracts: In media, at least, the recession is ending. 'Business 2.0' for the non-technical. Paths of least resistance
- Abstracts: A vision of theory, research, and the future of business schools. Crown Eyeglass: bad boy with vision
- Abstracts: Personal characteristics and salesperson's justifications as moderators of supervisory discipline in cases involving unethical salesforce behavior
- Abstracts: Tiptoeing into Futures Trading. The pricing of bank bill futures and FRA contracts in New Zealand. Wrongful trading
- Abstracts: Computer use and abuse. Controlling substance abuse in the workplace. A real-time computer for active control