Changing voters' minds in Cincinnati
The voters of Cincinnati, OH passed an initial ten year levy for the buildings, equipment, and operation of the vocational schools in the area. A bid for a third 10-year tax for the schools was not successful at first because of a recession in the area. Harold Carr head of what had developed into the Great Oaks Institute for Technology and Career Development, spearheaded a successful drive to get community support for the ballot measure. Strong support was gleaned from the local media, business community and district organizations. Even the senior citizens were approached for their votes.
Publication Name: The Vocational Education Journal
Elections 1984: How To Turn Today's Students into Tomorrow's Educated Voters
A guide is presented for educators to use, in order to show students that the right to vote is a way to affect the outcome of the election which will affect their own lives. The guide will also help teachers educate students in the skills that will result in an informed electorate. Topics for discussion, factual materials and activities are presented to help students in finding, evaluating and using information, in sorting out priorities and in critically examining political rhetoric.
Publication Name: Media & Methods
Grounding of a star turn
The Royal Greenwich Observatory, (RGO) Cambridge, England, is to be closed to save money, though the RGO has won major contracts and could run for a very long time with a fraction of the funds to be spent on millennium celebrations. A panel was set up to eamine costing, in April 1997, and delivered its verdict in May 1997, despite never having visited the observatory. The RGO has expertise in telescopes using all wavebands and is involved in innovative commercial activity.
Publication Name: Times Higher Education Supplement
- Abstracts: Is China a rogue state? China in perspective: communism after the revolution. Our enemy, the state?
- Abstracts: Gagging on provisions. Busy saying nothing at all. Saying "I'm sorry": apologies in law
- Abstracts: Room for reading. Seven Ways to Make Ends Meet in the Eighties. Marx moves over to make room for a new lot of rebels
- Abstracts: Elephant Memory Systems: Durable and Friendly with a Reliable Memory Just Like Its Namesake. Whose elephant?
- Abstracts: Voices from the Past. People and Places of the Past. The ruinous ghost of empire past