Employment after coronary angioplasty or coronary bypass surgery in patients employed at the time of revascularization
Patients who have coronary angioplasty may return to work faster, but their long-term employment is similar to patients who have bypass surgery. Both these techniques are used to open up coronary arteries that are blocked by atherosclerosis. In a study of 409 patients who were employed at the time they had angioplasty or bypass surgery, those who had angioplasty returned to work about six weeks sooner than those who had bypass surgery. However, long-term employment was related to age, education, and other factors rather than type of surgery.
Publication Name: Annals of Internal Medicine
The physics of laparoscopic surgery: a dissertation on the contributions of famous physicists to laparoscopic surgery
Ten basic principles of physics and their application to laparoscopic surgery were reviewed. The principles discussed were Heisenberg's Principle of Indeterminacy, Thomson's Principle of Negatively Charged Particles, Schrodinger's Theory of Wave Mechanics, Descarte's Vortex Theory, and Bradley's Aberration of Light Theory. The rest of the principles discussed include Boltzman's Theory of Entropy and Probability, Lavoisier's Law of Bunsen, Cavendish's Law of Condensation, and Einsteins' Theory of Laparoscopic Relativity.
Publication Name: Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
Famous four up and running
The new president of the UK Royal College of Nursing will be installed on 21 October 1998, after the process of election has been carried out by the Electoral Reform Society. There are four potential candidates, all with considerable experience in the field of nursing and management. Ray Rowden would increase links with nursing unions while developing public partnership. Christine Watson was a former deputy president of the Royal College of Nursing, from 1994 until 1998.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
- Abstracts: Determining the effectiveness of critical pathways for coronary artery bypass graft patients: retrospective comparison of readmission rates
- Abstracts: Human nutrition and its discontents: a personal view. OH world view. (World Health Organization)
- Abstracts: The importance of parametric approaches in the analysis of cell behavior. Disciplined approaches
- Abstracts: THE SEX DRIVE. The perfect Valentine's Day: share the day with an endlessly romantic couple - and explore the food-sex connection
- Abstracts: A quiche is still a quiche; it may be lower in fat and have fewer calories, but it's still that lovable, gooey wedge. part 2