UK manufacturer Pulsafe has refused to manufacture safety spectacles for video display unit operators as there is no conclusive evidence that the use of such eye protection prevents eye strain. The EC (European Directive) lays out 5 requirements that employers have to meet: assessment and reduction of risks; minimum requirements for workstations; work breaks; consultation, information and training; and eye tests and corrective appliances. It is believed that continuous VDU operation can cause eyestrain, but it can be caused by poor lighting and station design. Regular eye tests are important.
Publication Name: Occupational Safety & Health
HIV-1 Nef mediates lymphocyte chemotaxis and activation by infected macrophages
The Nef protein of HIV-1 appears to be responsible for making lymphocytes susceptible to HIV-1 infection. When macrophages are infected by Nef, they secrete chemokines that attract T lymphocytes and make them susceptible to infection.
Publication Name: Nature Medicine
- Abstracts: Video display terminal operation: sympathetic nervous system activation and temporomandibular disorders. Expert system-controlled image display
- Abstracts: A surgeon looks at cervical lymph nodes. Heberden's and Bouchard's nodes. Probable Transmission of HIV from an Orthopedic Surgeon to a Patient in France
- Abstracts: Subcutaneous or intramuscular insulin injections. Insulin, the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and blood pressure
- Abstracts: Vaginopathic and proteolytic Candida species in outpatients attending a gynecology clinic. part 2 Pulmonary amyloidosis: the Mayo Clinic experience from 1980 to 1993
- Abstracts: Essential fatty acids and inflammation. Heterologous antisera and antivenins are essential biologicals: perspectives on a worldwide crisis