Hong Kong's safe bet
The Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club has undergone changes such as the appointment of the first ethnic Chinese chief executive, Lawrence Wong. The club is a major employer in Hong Kong and its stewards come from Hong Kong's elite. The club's annual revenue is 73 billion Hong Kong dollars, which is more than most listed Hong Kong companies. The club is also a significant contributor of tax revenue. China is to take over Hong Kong and has made a commitment that horseracing will not be interfered with, though there are some concerns as to the future of the club.
Publication Name: Journal of Compensation and Benefits
Sexual orientation in the workplace: the strategic challenge
All private and public organizations face the contemporary ethical and legal challenge of creating nonhostile work environments for gay men, lesbians and bisexuals. An overview of the historical discrimination practices in the workplace is presented, including a discussion of the impact of legislative changes that continue to evolve. Specific suggestions are made for human resource managers, who must develop strategies to improve workplace conditions and attitudes within the conventional organizational structure.
Publication Name: Compensation & Benefits Management
Safe management: proactive treatment of AIDS in the workplace
Management in US businesses are going to have to establish policies regarding employees who are infected with the HIV virus in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Management's focus should be on educating employees about AIDS and HIV infection, and helping employees deal with AIDS like other diseases.
Publication Name: Title News
- Abstracts: Going contingent. Fee-based compensation replaces shrinking income
- Abstracts: IRS hands greater flexibility to S corporations. The only constants: taxes and tax law changes. Will proposed IRS rules simplify client planning? The IRS "Check the Box" revisions could make life easier for businesses, but some pitfalls may remain
- Abstracts: Smaller companies need employment protection. Solid underwriting can drive strategic alliances. Underwriting electronics firms can short-circuit the bottom line
- Abstracts: Coping with trauma in the workplace. Disability risk management in the private sector. Lessons from disability management research
- Abstracts: Pension administration made ... easy! Making the most of 401(k) plans: who's choosing what and why