A model of redlining
A model of the information gathering process involved in mortgage appraisal sheds light on the practice of redlining. This practice results in sub-optimal variations in mortgage loan supply across neighborhoods which may be due to such factors as racism or irrational biases. The model indicates that the number of previous home sales affects mortgage appraisal precision which, in turn, determines current home sales. The influence of past on current purchases results in an information externality, leading to sub-optimal differentials in mortgage loans granted, manifested in the capital constraints of borrowers and in the larger downpayments required by uncertainty in housing values. In this regard, redlining as a public allocation tool may be justified.
Publication Name: Journal of Urban Economics
Management of Forest Resources in India
A review of the state of forest administration in India is presented. Forest resources are being exploited and the forest area is decreasing. Forest regeneration should be encouraged through forests pricing policy reform. Social forestry and administration are also needed. Policy options for encouraging afforestation are outlined. Existing forest resources need to be regulated.
Publication Name: Public Administration and Development
Subject: Regional focus/area studies
Can fat be fit?
A report on a study that showed a higher mortality rate among healthy weight individuals even when being overweight is necessarily unhealthy and the use of body mass index based on height and weight as a gauge to proper weight judgment is presented.
Publication Name: Scientific American
Subject: Science and technology
- Abstracts: Federal arrangements and the provision of public good in India
- Abstracts: China and the issue of postwar Indochina in the Second World War. Korea, China, and Western barbarians: diplomacy in early nineteenth-century Korea
- Abstracts: The writer's truth: representation of identities in Indian fiction. Democratization in developing countries: 1980-1989
- Abstracts: River of dreams. Bringing up father. River run
- Abstracts: Approaches to the study of folklore and literature: old cruces and new possibilities. Tears that crumbled the great wall: The archaeology of feeling in the May Fourth folklore movement